Tasti di scelta rapida del sito: Menu principale | Corpo della pagina

The Palazzina of the director of the Montioni alum mines

Around 1809, Élisa Baciocchi, the Princess of Piombino from 1805 on, began the transformation of the area of Montioni with the construction of a small village serving the recently re–opened alum mine. The creator of the project for the new village was the French architect Pierre–Théodore Bienaimé, who had already worked for the princes at the Villa di Marlia and was chosen to bring the new rationalist and Neoclassical taste from the other side of the Alps to Tuscany. The French entrepreneur Louis Porte was employed by Élisa Baciocchi as the administrator of the Montioni alum mine and in 1811 he was named director, answering directly to the princes.

The director’s Palazzina, with two upper floors, rose from a position above the village. It was supplied by external utility rooms and provided with a chapel that officiated from 1808 until 1972, the year in which it was destroyed in the course of internal work to adapt the building to its use as the Forest Guard command centre. The furnishings, included among which was a painting of the Madonna and a bust of Elisa with a helmet, were transferred to the command centre for the Follonica Forest Guard.

Palazzina of the director of the Montioni alum mine
Locale: Montioni Nuovo
Suvereto (Livorno)

tel +39 0565 845145