Tasti di scelta rapida del sito: Menu principale | Corpo della pagina

The Piombino Citadel

The Piombino Citadel was built in the fifteenth century by the Florentine architect Andrea Guardi, commissioned by the Appiani Family, Princes of Piombino. It was used for receiving the seigneurial court and comprised the Palazzo Appiani, a chapel dedicated to Saint Anna, a cistern and all of the structures necessary to the life of the sovereigns and the court.

Under the Principality of Élisa Baciocchi, between 1805 and 1807, a complex campaign was undertaken for its structuring that resulted in the Palazzo Nuovo and created space for an extensive garden. The work, which was led by the Director and Engineer of the Royal Works, Ferdinando Gabrielli with the presence of Louis Guizot and under the general direction of the engineer Lavocat, unfortunately led to the demolition of a gate and a bastion of the old structure. The main intervention concerned the partial renovation of the Palazzo Vecchio (Old Palazzo), or Main Palazzo: all of the dependent structures were united into a single building, resulting in the Palazzo Nuovo (New Palazzo). An extensive garden was created between the palazzo and the chapel.

Piazza della Cittadella
Piombino (Leghorn)

public urban space