Tasti di scelta rapida del sito: Menu principale | Corpo della pagina

Giovanni Lazzarini

Giovanni Lazzarini (1769 – 1834) studied architecture in Rome and then settled in Lucca, where he was given the seat of architecture at the University of San Frediano, which he held from 1802 to 1809. In 1806 he was named the architect of the Principality by Élisa Bonaparte Baciocchi, who entrusted him with the project for the opening of the Piazza Napoleone. In the following years, he worked on the opening of the Porta Elisa and the construction of the Via Elisa, which connected the homonymous port to the Piazza Napoleone. He also took part in the projects connected to the radical urban transformation of Lucca during those years.

After the end of the Baciocchi Principality, Lazzarini continued to work for the Lucca government, now ruled by the Bourbons. For the new sovereigns, he designed the Teatro del Giglio (1817–1819), also involving himself in the restoration work in the area outside of the city, working for example on the hot springs of Bagni di Lucca.

Starting in 1818, the year in which Lorenzo Nottolini was named Royal Architect, Lazzarini was given projects of only minor importance. The villa of Pauline Bonaparte in Viareggio was, however, completed on the basis of his designs in 1822.